December 19, 2010

Udaipur!

Ah! Udaipur is lovely. The lovely Lake Pichola and seeing the massive palaces and havelis that front the lake. Although they've gone to seed somewhat - especially the Bagore Haveli, it's enough to make you imagine the splendour those Maharanas and Maharajas lived in. In Naija speak, those guys sabi chop life.

Walking around the old ciy is a pleasure. I've walked some already, but plan to do more that today. Striking thing here is how widely English is spoken. Coming from Ahmedabad and how rare it is to find someone who can speak English beyond yelling 'which is your country name?', Udaipur is almost like being in England!

The usual handcraft bazaars and jewellery stalls litter the streets, charging outrageous sums. Of course since they cater exclusively to tourists, I can imagine the mark up on those items, just to mop up all those extra dollars and euros, the tourists wouldn't otherwise know how to spend. Thinking of it that way, I guess it really is kind of them to help out on such a trying matter.

So I succumbed, and after a bout of heavy bargaining, I bought a pair of black harem pants for 130 rupees. Brought it down from 250. But seeing as the harem pants usually cost 100 rupees elsewhere, it is a dubious kind of victory. I'm not buying anything else though. Chiefly because my laptop backpack has been pressed into duty to double as a rucksack, and I just don't have that kind of space. I hope d pants fit or else I'll prob just wear them under my jeans. That would at least ensure I stay warm on the train tonight.

I'm attaching a couple of pictures to this post. But seeing as I'm mailing this from my phone, I'm not too sure how it will appear. But will try, never let it be said that I didn't try anything (within reason of course, none of that bungee jumping nonsense, thank you) at least once! These pictures aren't the best quality cos my proper camera had its lcd screen smashed during yesterday's accident. So these pics were taken with my blackberry which is undoubtedly renowned for its crappy camera specs. Turns out though that the camera can still take pictures, just can't see them till I plug it into a computer. Will use it more today to capture some backup shots.
Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone

No comments:

Post a Comment