October 19, 2010

When it rains………






It's tough. What a way to begin, but that's how I feel right now and it's been so bloody hard. I've been trying so very hard to lose weight and get healthy. Exercise often, eat carefully and this happens. Firstly, I land in hospital for the second time ever in my life with viral fever (first time being typhoid fever 20 years ago!). I should have suspected that the fates weren't done with me yet.

Then last week I go to the gynaecologist too remove some pesky sebaceous cysts. I"ve had the cysts for a while …(and I mean a long while, if those things paid mortgage, they'd own the whole house by now), so I decide since I'm losing so much weight, working out more, my non-existent love life just might get woken up and I  might finally get me some…..

So since I've been cleaning house so much (metaphorically speaking), I thought it just might be time to put myself together and get rid of the pesky cysts. So, off I go to the doctor's feeling fly in my too big denim skirt (the skirt didn't always used to be big, it's only since I lost all that weight, hence why I felt fly) and snug top. Lying on the table with my legs open and the woman peering between my legs, I'm hoping that I did a good job of removing all the hairs down there when I shaved an hour ago.

Then she says while we are at it, do you mind if I have a look around and give you a quick check up. I'm like sure, after all I'm already plucked and opened up for you. Now why didn't I just say NO. I should have jumped off the table at that point and said very firmly, no please restrict yourself to why I came. And then she pokes around in me, does a sonogram (I thought they only did that with pregnant women), sends me off to the radiologist for another sonogram, I go to the lab to get bled for 11 tests, calls me back in for another lookie look (all this in the space of about 2 hours) and finally tells me she thinks there might be something wrong with my abdomen and how she'd like me to go for a CT scan at some other diagnostic centre before they can decide on a definite diagnosis.

By this time, I’m super spooked. I'm so scared I'm almost in tears. From idly wondering if I managed to properly shave my hoohah an hour ago, I'm now wondering if I'm going to die. I call my friend SM to come by and be with me as I do the scan as the center refuses to proceed unless I have a friend or member of my family there. All that drama over, they ask me to come by on Monday afternoon for the results. This is Saturday…. How do they imagine I'm going to survive the agony of waiting till Monday to know if I should really be scared. I'm scared enough for 10 people standing here.

Monday afternoon and clutching my test results, I scurry back to the Doctor's office. Here she brusquely informs me that I have fibroids, one of which is bigger than a 40-wk old baby and that I need to have surgery as quickly as possible lest it grows bigger. She then goes on to tell me that considering the size, they'll need to cut me open a good bit and that I might lose my uterus in the process depending on how embedded the fibroids are in the uterus.

Is this woman for real? Is it just me or does her bedside manner stink? In tears again, SM comes to the rescue and attempts to wade through the murky waters of half hearted attempts by evil doc to explain what exactly is happening. She says I need to bring 1 lakh (that's 100,000 rupees) for the operation as soon as possible and arrange to get it done.

On Saturday, all I wanted was a pretty looking hoohah, Monday afternoon I'm crying in a doctor's office being asked to come up with 100,000 rupees which might or might not save my uterus or die. When it rains, it freaking well pours doesn't it

No comments:

Post a Comment